Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgtNukem

Technical User
Jun 28, 2003
US
I have a Maxtor 60 gig HD and every time I've started it up, it makes this sort of whining noise.. Proof - when the HD is the only drive plugged in it still makes this noise. Leaving the power cord out for a while and plugging it back in .. "fixes" the problem until the next time i dont turn my comp on for an extended period of time.. I have a replacement on the way from the warrenty but I want to see if I can cancel it.. I have XP and its on NTFS

You're sure it's the hard drive - not a fan? It's possible that the hard drive to make this kind of noise, but I wouldn't expect any change by unplugging it.

i agree with smah..check the fan...

good luck

Yeah, ive checked all the fans for all kinds of jams and unplugged the case fans, it still does it.

I agree with checking the fans. When I run into this problem it is the power supply fan. I have also found it to be the CPU fan sometimes. I hope this helps.

One

well if its maxtor then its probably whinning. i have had problems with maxtor drives and so have other people i know. disconnect it and turn pc on if no whinning them its the drive, simple as. if it the drive, don't use drive again until u can backup data. whine soon turns into clunk.

i've noticed that maxtors for some reason tend to be very loud, and unreliable. everything from 40gb to 120gb, everyone we've bought for our server or wkstations has died within 4-6 months. Never have any problems with WD's drives, IBM, or Samsung though. And the WD's are super quiet, well, compared to the maxtor's

Yeah um im getting a new drive, sadly its the same type due to my warrenty, but can i put this drive in, install the OS on that drive, copy everything over, while still having other drive in? Excuse the newbishness...

"i've noticed that maxtors for some reason tend to be very loud, and unreliable"

oh ?

No problems with Maxtors here at the moment, appear to be on par with WD in terms of reliability and noise.

yes you can clone one drive to another. Once you have both the drives connected to the computer, you can use a third party software of your can use the Xcopy command in DOS. You would want to pass the /h switch (xcopy c:*.* d: /h). This is assuming that C was your original drive and D was your new drive. You can also try xcopy32 which is newer and has some added features. Look at the websites listed below for more details. Good luck!!

xcopy : xcopy32:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back