Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive repair--logic board bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee0015

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
I have a Dell Oem IBM Deskstar GXP 45.1 GB hard drive that is dead. The Bios recognizes the drive, but no computer will boot if the drive is hooked up, either as the boot drive or as a data drive. The drive spins, but makes a repetitive sound once the computer starts to look at the drive.
There is data on the drive I would like to retrieve. Once before, I was able to retrieve data by swapping logic boards (maxtor drive).
Two questions:
Somewhere I read that logic board swaps will not work on GXP model drives, no matter what. Is that true?
Second, I have seen many of this model and size IBM drive on Ebay, but they are all a different part number, with a different number of LBA sectors. Could a logic board off of one of them work?
The drive is an IBM Deskstar DTLA-307045, p/n 07N4115, LBA 88,265,520 sectors, made Sept 2000, and sold by Dell installed in a Dell computer.
The logic board s/n is 07N5786 F80421_Ldz035 L62R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back