Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive repair from bootable CD? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

irate

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
GB
Can anyone suggest a good application for analysing and repairing Hard Drives that will run from a bootable CD?

I recently attempted to format and reinstall Windows XP, I have done this many times before, however while installing I received an error message that a particular file could not be copied. It suggested I quit setup and run it again.

I did this, re-partitioned and re-formatted the hard drive, but now when I get to the select hard disc for installation part of the install I have four error messages saying the hard disc could not be located, then the install crashes to a BSOD.

I believe this is just a file system corruption or error and not a hardware failure, so I believe it may be possible to fix the problem with the correct software.

I have seen and it seems like it may do the job, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a simpler bootable CD without all the extra applications that I can download an ISO for or create easily?

Thanks for your time.

All of the drive makers have a utility that you can download, some are floppy only,while some use either, cd,or floppy.
Most of them are cut down versions of Ontrack disk manager.
you can download a trial that the last time I checked was a verify only and wouldn't run a repair. for this you needed to purchase the full copy.

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

What i would do is go the the specific hard drive mfgrs website. There you can find their diagnostic software that you can get free. You can make a floppy or cd, your choice.
Then i would quickly check the drive out and if the drive is recognized then simply use the command to write zeroes to the hard drive. That has helped me out a lot with hard drive problems, after that win xp installed fine.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

You have to pay for it, but SpinRite from Gibson Research can repair a defective drive. It works from a bootable disk. It is not, however, aimed at fixing Windows files. Doesn't Windows format the drive before it attempts to install?

I would try the hard drives own diagnostics first as they are free and often repair the problem.
Spinrite is ok but you have to buy and that would then be another possible tool to use if the diagnostics failed. Not only that, there are a few options, or a few separate programs on the diagnostics cd or floppy. I only mentioned the one, which i would try first, but there are others.
After that would be spinrite and the others.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Why do you think this is not a hardware problem? If you are doing a clean reinstall and its failing, its nearly always a hardware problem - even if just a faulty install CD (and previously good ones can become defective).

And what was the reason for formatting and reinstalling? (eg, if you were having problems in windows, it could be a symptom of bad hardware - which could be the hard drive, or anything else).

Thanks for the help guys,
I downloaded and used Western Digital CD ISO boot disk.
I ran a few checks and they advised me to contact tech support, so I attempted to write zeros to the drive which failed at 50%.
So it was a hardware failure, ordered a new hard drive from Dabs and it arrived next day, all back up and running again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back