Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

linka

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I got a used motherboard w/ CPU PII 266 MhZ. I connected my HD and CD-ROM to it and when I run Setup, it sees them. When I continue, it starts to boot from the floppy, but then just the line a:> appears, it sees the CD-ROM on D:, but not the HD (on C: or other); and I wonder what do I have to type now?

I am grateful for any hint.

Thanks,
Georg

Have you got the boot floppy? if so, start the machine and then type:
fdisk
choose to support large HDD. Then choose the 4th option from the list, to display partition information. Check and see that the drive has been formatted. (it'll tell you under the system heading - you're looking for either FAT16 or FAT32.
If it isn't, exit from fdisk and then type:
format c:
then try running the setup again.

Hope this helps....
Scotsdude

You might want to go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS has an automatic HardDrive setup program. If all the fields are blank for tracks, sectors, etc., you may have to set up that informationg in the BIOS. In the BIOS the tracks and sectors have to be set up. Usually the BIOS can do this automatically if you go into the BIOS and try to autoconfigure the drive. It is not enough just to recognize that there is a Hard Drive, The BIOS (CMOS) tells the computer how to read the drive. There are no guarantees when you move a Hard Drive from one computer to another computer. Sometimes you have to run FDISK and start over, which is what I prefer to do.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You could also check to see if the jumpers on the hard drive are properly confingured or be sure you put the IDE cable in the right way 10010101110101111100010101101

you could enter setup and see the order in which it boots up the drives. set the floppy first and then the hard drive. 10010101110101111100010101101

If your BIOS is seeing the drives, then all you should need to do is what Scotsdude said above.. Configure the drive with FDISK, reboot and format the drives and install the operating system..

-Matthew T. Jones
A+, I-Net+
mach2@brightok.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back