Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive paths corrupted help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeNinja

Programmer
Jul 11, 2010
US
Hi,

A computer i am working on got hit with the worm.win32 virus

i am not quite sure how to explain this but basically, all links in the hard drive were changed to point to a scr file. Ok bad times. But the kicker is all files all driectories are now just a short cut link at the root level.

so for example i go to
F: in windows explorer and "myContacts.txt" is now a shortcut icon pointing to "wnsis.scr"
"GoodMusic" folder is now a shortcut icon to "wnsis.scr"

i can see the files exist by using the command prompt and so i know they were not blown away (phew!) but i cannot access them because everything though windows explorer is a shortcut icon.

Anyone have any tips ideas etc?

oops i sent too soon so now they are all .lnk's at the explorer level.

if i type in F:\folder\folder
i can see all the files just fine its at that first point of entry...

If it's possible, in my opinion, I'd just do this: Boot with a Bootable CD and backup your data to another hard drive or storage media. UltimateBootCD, Ubuntu Linux, or some other..

Then wipe the drive with DBAN or Active KillDisk, reinstall Windows, etc, and restore back your data.

With that sort of system damage, who knows what else might be damaged if you do find a good quick solution to this one.

Another option could be a repair install, but I'd definitely vote for a wipe and reinstall with a virus that managed to damage the system files to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back