Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billymac01

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
GB
Hi
I am trying to install a used 13Gb Western Digital hdd and I am having a lot of problems. I have used fdisk and tranfered sys c: I then get the message "cannot create partition this may be because" this drive may have HPFS or NTFS on it or you may be using third party tools.
It then says I need to create ms-dos partition, how do I do this. My O\S is win98 250Mhz cpu upgrading from 3Gbs to 13Gbs.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

What partitions are visible with fdisk option 4.
You need a primary partition , and active, before you can format c: /s.
You fdisk, option to remove partitions, till you get the drive clean, then build it back up. And it is possible that existing partitions might not be removable with the fdisk you are using. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You're running a 250 MHz CPU and upgrading from a 3gb to a 13gb hard drive?
It's possible that your system BIOS does not support a drive of this capacity and you may require a BIOS overlay.
Pay a visit to Western-Digital for a downloadable disk manager untility.

having trouble installing used hard drive in my Hewlett Packard 2ghz system. The hard drive is 40gb. I try to press the delete key immediatley after startup and nothing happens just the blinking cursor. How do I get into the bios to change boot record to start from the Win XP cd? The operating system that I am trying to install once I can get it to boot up. Currently, I can not get the system to boot up even when I press the delete key immediately after start up to get to the bios. What do I need to do?

Think HP uses [F2], but you may need to try [F1], [F10]. There are all sorts of breakouts in use , [CTRL}+[ALT}+[ESC], numeric [+], numeric [-], and the delete, plus I'm sure, othrs I've never run across.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the info, got it fixed eventually.
Billy

what format C:/s all it dose is bakup system file
to format a computer right fdisk next format
to get the hard disk need to use a windows 98 bootup
disk type A:fisk read sceen press 4 to view disk
press3 read screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back