Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive not detectable by Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleao

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2002
PT
I installed Windows 2000 pro, because XP was runing too slow on my machine.
But now I can not see my slave Hard Drive, in XP was working fine, but now Windows 2000 Pro does not detect my second drive, the drive is only a storage drive.
Its a ST320423A 40gb.
I have run disk managment but it does not displaty that drive, although in the system drivers tab the drive is there.
Anyone know how i can solve this?

I had the same problem with a Seagate 9GB SCSI drive in Windows 2K. In device manager I saw it as a hard disk but it was not recognized otherwise. I ended up low-level formatting the drive because it was SCSI (don't try on an IDE drive) and it worked.

I would suggest first taking the drive out and putting it in another machine (if that is an option) to see if it will recognize it. If there is any data on the drive back it up somewhere. Then I would do an old fashioned "fdisk" on the drive by booting from a floppy and having that as the only drive connected. Once you have wiped the drive and created a new partition or partitions use disk manager in Win2k to make the partition active and format the drive. I hope this helps.

I did solve the problem, I did put the second hard disk in a different cable(together with the DVD) and now works fine.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back