Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive no worky, Need to recover data

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanwan

ISP
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have a COMPAQ Presario 1600 laptop with XP Pro that goes into a reboot loop. Would not let me start into safe mode either. I have determinded that the hard drive has gone bad due to the many bad sectors it showed in scandisk. Normally with a tower I would just take out the drive and slave it onto another pc. In this case, with a laptop I am in a bit of a bind. I have a special Linux Boot CD that I used to backup some of my word and excel documents onto floppies (The CD has no networking cabablities). I can get into DOS with a bootable floppy. I am aware that there are DOS file transfer programs out there that can transfer data using the COM ports or the LPT ports. Is this the avenue I need to take? If so, where are some downloadable programs that I can use. Free software that is reasonably easy to understand is my first choice. Or something that I can download as a trial. I need to backup my Outlook pst file and my ACT stuff. Please help.

You can buy an IDE adapter which will let you connect the drive to a PC (secondary IDE controller) - where you can more easily retrieve your data. They cost about ?5 here in UK.

Take the HDD out and pin it as a slave. Install it on a working computer with enough space to hold your data. Boot from the master HDD and just copy over the data you need. Then you can f-disk the drive and reinstall xp.

If your pst file is not too large you could zip it and use #1. below. IF it is a default setup then the past is located at C:\Documents and Settings\"Owner"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Owner being your signin name. I dont have act on the computer but I think at work ours is under the default c:/act/Database name. If you know the name if the database you can search from dos CD ACT [ENTER] DIR [ENTER] If there are a lot of entries DIR /p

1. You could use winzip to span floppys if you have the drive.
2. If you have a cat5, network hookup you could get the driver for dos off the website for the card installed boot with that and use a cross over cable, thats cheap but not easy when worried about the hard drive. You say the scandisk gives bad sectors? I normally backup if possible what I need and reformat and reload, how old is the hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back