Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Light Stays Solid Red & Shutdown Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordguy

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
US
1. HARD DRIVE LIGHT STAYS SOLID RED. I recently purchased an ECS Elite PF4 motherboard. I put my original two hard drives that were in the old computer on controller IDE1 and my CD ROM on IDE2 (as suggested by the motherboard manual). Well, I could not load Windows on that configuration. Therefore, I called ECS tech support in California and they told me that I would have to put the CD ROM on the same ribbon as the master hard drive and change the boot order to make the CD ROM the first boot item and I should be able to load Windows. After that, they advised me to put the CD ROM back on IDE2 and put my slave hard drive back on the ribbon with the master on IDE1.

Well, I did that and Windows XP Professiona loaded perfectly. After loading Windows in installed the motherboard set up utilities from the disk that was sent with the board (prior to putting the slave drive back on the ribbon with the master). After loading the utilities I did as the ECS tech advised me (i.e. put the slave drive back on the ribbon with the master and the CD ROM on IDE2). Now, my hard drive(s) light stays bright red and solid even when the computer is doing nothing and I know it's the slave drive because when I noticed that I took the slave drive off the red light went back to normal, only blinking intermittently. Something tells me that I should have put the slave drive back on the ribbon before I installed the motherboard utilities. I also thought that maybe I had the ribbons turned the wrong way, but I checked that and that was not the issue. The irony of it all is that the BIOS recognizes both drives, but does not see the CD ROM. Also, when I boot up and get into Windows and click on My Computer all drives are there (Master, Slave, and CD ROM). I'm confused and need help on this.

2. SHUTDOWN ISSUE. When I try to shut my computer down, it does, but 2 seconds later it turns itself back on automatically. How do I fix that?

Thanks.
Bryant

Are the drives all jumpered correctly? (some have different values for master on its own and master with slave present for example). IDE cables sound? Right sort (eg, 80 wire for ATA66 & above drives).

That slave drive sounds like it might be causing the problem. I'd download diagnostic utility from its manufacturer website (most have one) and run it against that drive - with no other drives connected to the machine.

btw - what are the 2 drives (make, size, interface etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back