Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2000
US
We are donating a large number of Win2K machines and need to know the fastest way to blow away everything on the hard drives.
Thanks

Hi,

I would find a freeware drive eraser from the internet that wipes to military standards, then run it on each machine.
Do a google search for hard drive eraser and see what comes up.

Depending upon the computer literacy of the recipients of the machines, an alternative of course would be to re image the machines from a clean setup. This wouldn't stop a technical expert running data recovery software over it, but would beat about 99% of the population.

John

while it's not to millitary standards, you just run fdisk and delete all the paritions. if you want to get fancy you could make a boot disk and use fdisk ( or easier, gdisk ) in the autoexec.bat

Hey,

jrbarrnett is right the only way to besure you have earsed all data from your HDD is to use a program. Just fromatting and deleting partions or re-imaging the drive will not work. If you do a search on-line you can even downlaod programs that will restore files from deleted partions. I actually have w/ R-Studios. A good one that I have used is Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser v1.1. There is a free download version and one that is US Department of Defense 5220.22 M compliant. I like the free one myself. Hope this helps.

Rich [Yoda]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back