Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive jumper settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumbwi

Technical User
Feb 15, 2004
US
I am having trouble adding a second drive in my pc. Whenever I connect the second drive, it does not appear in my computer. I ve tried to set the master and slave settings, but I cant seem to get it right. After playing around with it for I while, I got a blue screen of death, restarted the machine and got the "operating system not found" error. I checked in the bios and noticed that the hard drive is not even detected. help please.

List the brand and model of each drive you are installing and let us know which drive is the drive with the OS installed.

We can tell you how to set the jumpers correctly, in case you're not sure, if we have that info. Also, make sure you have the master drive on the end of the cable with the slave in the middle.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
IS Administrator

Or go to the manufacturer's site and look at the specs.
You also need to run fdisk to create a partition before the drive will be seen.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

The master is maxtor N256 and the primary is also maxtor n256. Both drives already contain partisions and data; i have had access to both of them before. When I connect them separately, everything works fine.

Set them both to cable select and ensure that you have the master at the end of the cable, and it should do it automatically for you.

Also, regardless of whether you had run fdisk or not, the drive will always show in bios if the jumper(s) are set correctly.

If you cannot get the drives to work as master/slave, try getting another ide cable and see if it works then. It's entirely possible that the ide cable's slave connector went bad.

Good Luck.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
IS Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back