Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive is detected, but cannot access

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2583

Programmer
May 3, 2003
PT
I have an external 80gb Maxtor hard drive, IEEE 1394 SBP2. Im using Win. XP.
Device manager detects it, and so does Disk Management. But I cannot access it through my Computer or through dos. It simply does not show up. It does not have a drive letter. I'm not quite sure how to assign it a drive letter. There is already about 70gb worth of information stored on it. It works on another computer running xp. XP detects it, but does not detect it on this computer and I need some help on about how I would access it without destroying the data... Any help?

If it works on another computer with XP, I would start looking for the differences between these machines. Different firewire cards/drivers? With SP1 and without? Good luck.

I've had similar problems before. A few things I need to know
Have you made any changes to your registry? There is a change to registry that can hide drives from My Computer.
Do the following:
Go into registry
HKey_Currentuser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\policies\explorer
Click on Explorer
Right click on NoDrive.....
Click Modify
Ensure that you have 5f 00 00 00

I had exactly the same symptoms with a Western Digital drive. Turns out that it wasn't formatted and hod no volume for dos or explorer to report. I went to the western digital website and downloaded an install program that detected the unformatted drive and let me format it. after restart, explorer had no problem seeing the drive.

I imagine that Maxtor has a similar solution.

I have an AcomData external drive that my laptops and desktop will not recognize. Did any of the fixes posted by the other users work? Please advise. Actually, If you could e-mail me, I'd like to talk with you more about this issue.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back