Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy1234

Technical User
Oct 8, 2003
US
Hello there,

Just had a hard drive WD40G installed on my home pc.
It was installed as a second HD as my original only had 4G or space. The 4G HD is the"C" and the 40G HD is the "E" I am running win200nt on the 4G HD. I was wondering if making the new drive the one to hold the operating system and such would make my machine more proficient. I have a 1G AMD processor in it also. Either that or is there a way to make the "E" drive the one that all newly loaded programs or files can be defaulted to? OR should I just copy the entire "C" drive to the "E" drive(will that work?) and then wipe the "C" drive clean? Use the "E" drive to house all programs and use the "C" drive for less intensive stuff. I know there is a master/slave issue that goes with this process. I consider myself to be computer literate enought to follow step by step instructions. I didn't put the drive in but I am sure I could figure out how. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,

Tammy1234

(Im not quite sure how literate you are so if any of this makes no sense just post back to me on this tread and i can elaborate.)

using your new drive to hold your OS will make the machine run faster only if it is a faster drive. however, :) what you could do is keep the operating system where it is now and transfer all Programs onto your new drive and leave your 4GB drive for OS use only. also connect your new 40GB drive on a seperate IDE channel than your 4GB drive (the other ide ribbon) and relocate your Memory swap file to the new drive. this can be done through start>settings>control panel>system>advanced tab. under performance click settings. under advanced tab click on the change button in Virtual memory. then choose the new drive and allow the paging files initial and maximum size to be the same (currently i use 580MB) but check your system performance monitor for your personal settings. oh and i'm assuming your using win 2k or xp.
hope this helps.
PS
There are many other tips to increasing system performance, browsing tek-tips or doing searches on Google can point you in the right direction.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back