Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

menerves

Instructor
Apr 12, 2000
CA
Visit site
I want to install win98 from the hard drive b/c when I attach the drive to another system it will boot from the orginial install computer but will not boot from a different system without a CD drive. Suggestions?

Win98 should be reinstalled anyways if you move it to a different computer, because windows system is wraped around the fact that its still using the same system device of the machine it was originally installed on. also I assume the boot record was on the other harddrive(if yer using 2) and win98 was on the one you mentioned.<br><br> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Heres something I picked up from a good friend called Lawhead. I used it to make two bootable harddrives one for back up purposes. It works perfect. Its much cheaper but a bit slower good luck!<br><br><br>1) Attach your second HD.&nbsp;&nbsp;It won't matter if it's Primary<br>&nbsp;Slave or Secondary Master/Slave.<br>2) Make sure the second HD is FDisk'd and ready to accept formating.&nbsp;&nbsp;(If it is already formated, you can skip this step)<br>3) Boot into Win95/98<br>4) Enter Windows Explorer and right-click and format drive D: (assuming D: is your target drive). Skip this step if it's formated.<br>5)&nbsp;&nbsp;**Verify that the folder options are set to &quot;Show all Files&quot;<br>6) Create a folder called D:\WINDOWS.<br>7) Select all files and folders in C:\WINDOWS EXCEPT WIN386.SWP and copy them over to D:\WINDOWS <br>8) Run the Command prompt, execute SYS D:, and exit the DOS session.<br>9) In Windows Explorer, click on the ROOT of C: and select all files and folders EXCEPT:&nbsp;&nbsp;C:\WINDOWS, COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, DRVSPACE.BIN and copy them to the ROOT of D:.&nbsp;&nbsp;When prompted to overwrite MSDOS.SYS, select OK/YES.<br>10) After everything is copied over to D:, down the system and reconfigure the backup drive as Primary Master.<br>11)&nbsp;&nbsp;Boot the computer with a bootable floppy that contains FDISK.<br>12)&nbsp;&nbsp;Run FDISK and set the backup drive's primary boot partition to &quot;Active&quot; if it isn't already.<br>13)&nbsp;&nbsp;Reboot the system without the floppy, you should now have a full bootable backup of your original drive.<br><br>14) I would suggest you purchase Ghost or Drive Image.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's sooo much easier!<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back