Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Iminant failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

manojacob

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2001
IN
Hello,
I have a problem in my laptop. At the startup hard drive is giving an error message that, "Intelisafe hard disk found iminant failure". if i put the hard disk in aother laptop it is working. If i put another hdd in same mechine that also okay. If anybody knows what is this problem please help me.

Thank you
Manoj Jacob

Hello manojacob,
I had similar problem with a desktop. It told me to remove all data from the drive because it was subject to imminent failure. Always had to press F1 to get past it on boot up (It was a slave drive). Used the manufacturers diagnostic on it and it indicated it had an unrepairable error on it.
I set it as the master drive, formatted it and tried to load windows 98 on it. It wouldn't complete the load. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to load it, I put the hd in an older and slower machine and it loaded windows and operated OK, but I wouldn't trust it with important data. Hope this sheds a little light on the problem.

Hello dinkyus,
Thank you for your reply. But i am still not able to understand what is the reason of this problem.

Thank you
Manoj Jacob

If your laptop is still under warranty then call the manufacturer...the IntelliSafe error you are receiving should be covered and the manufacturer should replace the drive.

Also, DFP drives (Drive Fault Prediction) which is what drives the Intellisafe stuff is not only drive dependent, but is also system BIOS dependent. So, if the other laptop or desktop that you put the drive in does not support DFP then you will not receive the error.

I think the drive condition reported through DFP...can be cyclic..meaning that it may take some time to operate in another system before it is determined to be faulty or have an impending failure.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Hi Manojacob,

Could you tell me what type of laptop you have and what type of hard drive is installed? I work on many Compaq laptops and have seen this problem occur.

According to compaq, this is error message indicates a hdd failour check out this link:
Is the other laptop that you place the hdd in, also a compaq? I would guess it is not and that is why it is not generating the error.
There may be some damage to your HDD but it is hard to say unless you run some tests.

Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back