Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
please in easy terms, help me reformat and reinstall win98 on my daughter's laptop.
it originally had NT on it and she couldn't use her USB port so a friend began the process, and now things are hopeless messed up.
i have a win98 disk that is bootable. and if i could just see the directions i know i could get this accomplished.
i would like to wipe everything clean and start fresh.
thanks

Use a Windows 98 start disk to boot the PC. You can make a disk off another pc by having a blank floppy and going to the Control Panel and clicking on Add/Remove Programs. Then click on Windows and then on Start disk and once it is done reboot the pc and have the start disk in A: drive.
Now the pc will ask you if you want to start Windows with CD ROM support or not. Say no, start the pc without CD ROM support and you will be taken to the A: (a prompt). Once there type in the following WITHOUT the quotes.
"format c: /s /u /v" hit enter now and you will be prompted to say either yes or no to losing all your data. Say yes by typing "Y" and hitting enter. Your hard drive will now be formatted. This can take awhile if the hard drive is large. Once it is done it will ask you to label the hard drive. This means to give the drive a name. I personally use the size of my hard drive for its name to keep them all separated and in my mind differentiated but I use 6 drives in my server so call it what you want just don't go over 8 characters.
Hit enter and you will return to the A: prompt. At the prompt type "fdisk /mbr" then hit enter. This will rewrite the master boot record of your drive. Now type in "sys c:" hit enter to transfer system files to the drive to make it bootable. Once it is done remove the disk in a drive and reboot the machine. At this point I just want to see if the drive is bootable. If your screen shows the c: when it is done then this was successful, if not your may have to do a complete fdisk but we'll get to that if it happens. Now put your startup disk in a drive and reboot. Now when it prompts you to start with or with out CD ROM or to set up 98, select Start WITH CD ROM support. Once it is done the very last thing it will say is the drive latter of your CD ROM, usually something like D=000XXX numbers. Anyway go to your CD ROM drive by typing in it’s letter with the colon behind it and then hitting the enter key. EX. D: [ENTER] Now your PC should show you the D: symbol and you should now type in "setup" and hit enter. This will start setup. The very first thing it will ask you is to let it scandisk the drive. Just hit the enter key one time to start this process. Once it is done select Exit instead of View log and Windows will take you to the Auto installer which will '"Guide you through the rest of the setup process". Hope this helps.
Master Frodo
If you need anymore help with this or encounter problems let me know and I will make out a bulleted list to send you via email and help you from there.

Who the hell put the "S" in lisp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back