Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Full With Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsk525

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
Hi All,

I am running a daily back of the exchange server using windows backup utility. However, the logs are piling up and now the server hard drive is completely full. Can any kindly give me some tips on running a successfull backup so the logs are cleaned on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance!

the backup needs to be exchange aware and set to flush committed transaction logs. This will free up the HD space.

If you are happy with your hardware and power supply, you could enable circular logging for a while which will clear some space but means a PIT restore will not be possible if it goes down before the next proper backup.

I am not familiar with Exchange, could you kindly give me some instructions or provide a link which can assist me in how i can setup the backup to be exchange aware and set to flush committed transaction logs. Thank you.

in ntbackup, see what selections you have. If you have exchange information store, select it. Should be an option that is usually a tick box saying logs. Had a feeling ntbackup automatically becomes exchange aware when you install exchange.

Ok, great. I will give it a shot tonight and let you know of the results. Thanks again!

I would turn on detailed logging under Option in NTbackup. Its possible that your already are backing up the IS , but if NTBackup reports errors then there is corruption in the IS...and its not a complete backup...which will not flush the logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back