Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoniey

Programmer
Jun 15, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a 2 year old dell laptop, it was running fine, until yesterday. My roomate was using it, he said it froze, and he rebooted it, and when he rebooted it, the hard drive was not found. I was wondering if there is any way to recover from this? and how can i resolve this. I really dont want to buy a new hard drive, but more importantly, i have some important documents i need to pull off the old hard drive if it comes to that.

all suggestions greatly appreciated...thanks!

gmoniey
Not good I'm afraid, obviously if the drive can't be detected it can't be read.
Try going into the bios to make sure Primary IDE channel Master is set to auto detect, use keys to set to auto and try again.
It is possible to remove the 2.5" hard drive and have it connected to a desktop PC with an adaptor IDE cable, as secondary master.
Fingers crossed.
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be answering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

Hello!

I have had similar problems with som fujitsu harddisks.

What kind off hdd is this. My problem was that the computer didnt find the harddisk in bios. After removing the harddisk from the pc for a couple of weeks, and reinserting they started work again. But only for som short periode of time.

This could be an solution only to manage to recover important documents. I think the harddisk is broken

Regards
Gjermund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back