Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive does not sho in Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcman1985

Technical User
Nov 26, 2007
GB
I recently bought a Maxtor 320GB IDE Hard Drive, not realising that my other hard drive was a SATA Connection. Not really a major problem as I bought an IDE cable and connected the hard drive up with it, and connected to the DVD RW Drive also.

So all plugged in fine and it is detected fine in the BIOS (which is set as Primary Slave and The DVD RW drive is the primary Master.). When Windows loads up it finds the hard drives and installs the driver for it. But it does not show in Windows Explorer. I run windows XP Home.

Any ideas woukd be greatly appreciated

You might need to format the drive to be able to use it and be shown in Windows Explorer.
Try right Clicking on My Computer, then Click on Manage.

This will open up the Computer Management console. Go down to Storage, and then Disk Management. Does the drive appear there? If it does you may need to just initialize the drive, or it might also need formatting. You can do both from there by right clicking the drive entry there.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Wow. thank you very much for your help. I have done that and it now shows in Windows Explorer.

Thanks! :D

Glad to have helped.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back