Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive data extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppet007

Technical User
Jul 19, 2005
FR
HI,

A friend has an old pc that refuses to reboot and he wants to remove some stuff on the hard drive and to be able to use it on the new pc.

Wat's the best way of recovering files, etc from the old hard drive?

Remove and install on the new pc if there's a free slot?Is there some sort of external connector that will allow me to transfer from one to the other if I remove the hard drive?

Any idea's would be appreciated?

Cheers
Muppet007

slot? you can attach to the cable that has the optical drive connected to it, or jumper as a slave, and attach to the middle connector on the cable connected to the primary drive, which if a western digital has to be jumpered as master, and not as default which is for single drive on the cable. As for external, you could get an external usb case and install the drive to that, but why? I mean if you are going to take one apart to remove the drive, only takes 5 mins to add to the other machine, and nothing extra to buy.

I think the best solution of the problem is: link up an old HDD and new one into new PC (master-slave) then create an image of your old HDD, using hard drive cloning. And just unpack it on new HDD. You won't have to reinstall Windows, as backup file will contain the exact copy of a hard disk, including all the computer data, operating system, and programs. If it won't work (but I don't think so) you may create a bootable CD, hard drive cloning allows it. If something happen again with your PC, you'll just recover HDD. It's really useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back