Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge118

Programmer
Jun 15, 2004
US
Is it possible to copy everything on my 40GB hard drive to my 60GB hard drive? Would Windows and other applications copy over and function alright or would I need to install the OS on my 60GB hard drive separatly? I'm pressed for disk space and don't want to be hassled by reimaging my hard drive.

"Pin me. Perl me."

Regards,

Chris

There are quite a few options here:

Visit the one of the drive manufacturer's website. There are free utilities for making exact copies. Maxtor, for example, supplies MaxBlast. If the 60GB drive is new, it should have come with the software on disk.

You can also download other free or shareware utilities off of cnet.com. One I found a while back is Casper XP, which is free for direct copying (to resize partitions or images, you have to purchase it). This handy utility allows you to do a straight copy from within Windows...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back