Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive configuration suggestion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterberglin

Technical User
Mar 23, 2008
US
I have a sony vaio desktop 3.0, 512mb, running winxpsp2

The existing hard dtive that came with the machine is a seagate 250gig 7,200 rpm sata.

I just bought a western dig raptor, 150 gig, 10,000 rpm sata.

1) What drive would you make primary(o/s) and which drive would you make for pure data storage.

2) If u think Seagate(Primary) and Raptor(2), can u confirm this is thte right step. Physically screw down drive, connect sata cable and power cable. Boot up windows as normal. If drive D: doesnt appear, then right click my computer>Manage, etc. etc. then format drive, etc. etc.

3) If u think Raptor(Primary) and Seagate(2), then I would want to do a clean install of o/s and drivers. Can I just disconnect existing seagate, connect raptor, change boot order in bios to boot to bootable win xp cd, etc. etc. After o/s is installed on raptor, if I just hook up the seagate and set order in bios, will i be able to work with the files that were already on there? Or will I have to format the drive (.i.e lose all my info)

Thanks

Hi peterberglin
Basically option 3 is the best.
The Raptor is best serving the operation system and intalled software and your existing drive used as storage.

Install OS on the Raptor as you described making sure you have it connected on the first SATA port (should be the one your Seagate is attached to) load all the latest drivers and updates. Shutdown reconnect old drive but to SATA port 2, check boot priority in the bios selecting the Raptor as First Boot Device.
Once into windows the second older Seagate should automatically be detected.
Personally I would go into this drive and copy across what you want to save to the Rator, then format the Seagate and copy back your saved files to the clean drive.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back