Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
My hard drive starts to click about every second sometimes it only clicks once or twice but when it gets to about six clicks it causes a memory dump. can somebody please tell me why this happens?

There are lots of drives and computers in the world what do you have? Desktop/laptop?

What kind of drive ? model?

I would be looking to make sure this is not a memory problem also. If it was maybe when the computer boots a different amount of memory may appear. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

BACK UP YOUR DATA RIGHT AWAY!

Your hard drive is developing a mechanical failure. Back up whatever you can and replace it!!!!!

**Because this is a mechanical error, once it goes you are not going to be recovering data (short of sending it to a proffessional data recovery location** ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

...Of course, I am assuming that by hard drive you mean the hard drive and not the 'tower'!!!!!!!! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

I'm replacing a drive this weekend because of the 'click'. I get a strange buzz then the click, all activity on the drive stops til after the click. Fortunately it is a slave drive. I think it had/has a problem with heat.

thanks for the info. another thing I forgot to mention is that when it reboots after the memory dump the bios doesn't find the hard drive and I have to wait about five minutes and then it will find it. does this change anything. its a Maxtor 40g 7200 rpm and I have a slave Western Digital 20g 7200 rpm. thanks

It's still a drive going bad, now you have to find out which one.

Also, go to and and download their diagnostic. If the drives are under warranty, they will need the error code generated in order to issue an RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back