Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive changed from virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeNinja

Programmer
Jul 11, 2010
US
hi there

all root level links were changed to .lnk extensions with the shortcut being a virus exe file

virus has now been safely removed but for example

contacts.txt
mymusic (a folder)
or
myDocumentsBackup (another folder)

are now all
contacts.lnk
mymusic.lnk
mydocuments.lnk

all shortcuts and all showing shortcut icon at root in windows explorer. if i go in WE to F:\mydocuments i can see them but i cant get there from F:\

any idea what i can do aside from transfer and reformat?

Your post is almost unintelligible, I'm sorry to say. Either that or I'm plumb dumb. I apologize if English is not your first language.

What is "WE" windows explorer???? That's not a common abbreviation.

Seems like that virus that's going around that hides all files and folders in the root and replaces them with shortcuts to the virus itself.

Make sure the virus has been removed and then you'll have to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders, once that is done you should see your folders and files, and be able to change their hidden setting back to normal, then just delete all the lnk shortcuts.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back