Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard disks keep dropping offline Please HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

philmknight

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Today (16/04/04) i got into work to find my NT4 Server had crashed! only to find that on the reboot that 2 disk where offline.
in the past i have managed to get the system working again but putting 1 disk back online and rebooting but this time the system just freaked at me and said that all sorts of system files where missing.
so this time i brought the other disk back online aswell, this time NT booted but now im getting errors saying files are corrupted.

Now i have only been working here for 3 weeks and this is the first time this has happened, but from what i have heard this used to happen alot and i have also heard that 3 disk have gone offline at once!!!!

now can anyone suggest what i should as i cant afford for this to keep happening

Many Thanks
Phil Muchamore-Knight

Check your firmware is up to date on the raid adapter. eg Dell had a few miserible firmware revisions in a row, causing the same problem as you have. On a few Dells I had two disks go offline multiple times, luckily without damage.
LSIlogic produces most of Dell's adapters, so I used Lsi's firmware to update the card, no problems since. Lsilogic makes Dell's raid cards, and about 80% of the cards out there.

rare but..
Different firmware revisions on disks can also creat havoc.
eg Seagate had a buggy revision on their 10k and 15k u320 drives last year.

For the hell of it I would reseat the raid card and every scsi cable connection.

Understand how it is only being with a place for 3 weeks, inheriting nasty problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back