Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard disk speed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistanapesis

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
GB
My present system has a 40Gb Maxtor (ATA100 5400rpm)as primary master on a Jetway V266A board (133). I was thinking of getting a 80Gb (7200rpm) ATA133 drive. Now If I put both on the same Primary IDE channel will the fact that one is ATA100 will this slow down my new ATA133 drive to ATA100? keep up the good work guys :) If your unsure....Dont do it!

you will notice the difference between the 5400rpm and the 7200rpm.
you won't be able to tell the difference between ATA100 and ATA133

As long as I`m not going to waste my money on getting a 7200rpm drive only to discover ATA100 is holding me back. but to be honest when I went from UDMA66 to ATA100 I never really noticed any difference at the time (my old computer) so I guess the 7200RPM of the drive I should see a difference and not bother about it only running at ATA100. If your unsure....Dont do it!

don't you have a second ide that you can put the new drive on? (but not with anything slower - like a cdrom!)

Kim Leece.

Secondary IDE has a DVD and a burner on it so I can`t do that. But I did think that at first myself. If your unsure....Dont do it!

These are theoretical data transfer rates***
ATA100 drives rarely reach the old ATA66 speed and maxtor 133's are only marjonally quicker than the 100 drives, certainly not attaining anything like true ATA100 transfer.
Read a few hard drive reviews and you will see that ALL of these drives barely touch two thirds of there theoretical maximum.
So: putting the 133 with the ATA100 won't restrict it at all!
And if you put your operating system and main programs on the new drive you WILL REALLY see the differance in speed that the 7,200rpm offers because of it's faster access times. Martin
Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

And of course, you could always invest $30-40 on a PCI IDE controller. Drop one of those babies in there and you now have 4 IDE channels instead of 2 - one for each device!

Even if you wouldn't notice much difference between ATA/100 and ATA/133, you could sleep better at night knowing each IDE device has its own channel! Just think...no more interruptions, no more swapping request access, and ATA/whateva for each device!

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

absolutely correct i installed a 133 card when i bought the hard drive maxtor 40g 7200 133 and it was faster without the card if your motherboard supports ata 100

Thanks for all the input guys, I`m thinking I`ll get the drive first, then i`ll look in to getting an IDE PCI card later. I like the Idea of one channel per device. Got a couple of spare slots anyway...lol:) Thanks to all. If your unsure....Dont do it!

Hey Mistanapesis,

How do you get your V266A to ATA133? I have a Maxtor 133 drive, but it only runs at 100. I can't find where to change it.

Also the Jetway IDE tool only reports it as being ATA66 (BIOS says UDMA 100)

Any help would be appreciated

The Jetway V266A is infact an ATA 100 motherboard so the Maxtor ATA133 was always going to run slower at ATA100 anyway.
BTW the Jetway V266B IS ATA133 (slightly newer southbridge chip allows for the faster standard)
Worth pointing out the need to connect these drives with an 80core ultra cable and not the course type (40core) used on most CDroms.
Yes I know it's an old thread but Teessider added a new post.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Also, Maximum PC ran benchmarks between ATA/100 and ATA/133 in a recent issue. They used a Maxtor drive set to both interfaces. There was no advantage with ATA/133.

The problem is that even though ATA/133 appears to be 33MB/s faster than ATA/100, the speed is theoretical. It is never taken advantage of. Even the fastest hard drives only average between 45-50 MB/s read and write speeds. Peak rarely goes over 70MB/s.

Until the hard drive itself can reach those speeds, I would worry less about whether you're using ATA/100 or ATA/133 for now.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

cables should be labelled what speed they support, check the mothebroard manual for what speed your ide runs at.

and sata, try the raptor, 10000 rpms, 5.2ms access times (compared to ata133 7200 rpm around 8.9ms)
only downside is it's 36 GB.

Not all motherboards support ATA133 Drives. Many hard drive manufacuterers chose not to make ATA133 drives and started working on developing the newer Serial ATA (SATA) drives instead. This is because the hard drives have enough speed already. It doesnt matter if you can send data fast as long as you can send it as fast as you can read the data from the drive. The read is taking longer than the transmission of the data.

The big thing about the SATA drives is the really narrow drive cables. They are still a little pricey. I wouldnt buy them till the old ATA drives are no longer available or the motherboard manufacturers go to an all SATA motherboard. Another thing is they are making some really big SATA drives. Seagate plans on making 2.5" SCSI drives soon. If they all started making 2.5"drives that might be a good thing. Maybe we could shrink down the PC a bit. I was wondering if they are going to go to a DVDR disk instead of CD drives. They hold so much data, that the drive could easily fit into a 3.5" slot if they shrunk the disk down.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back