Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard disk probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to fit a 40GB fujitsu into a pentium 2 233 machine. It will not detect the new disk in the BIOS no matter where I have it plugged in (master, slave and CSL). I have done away with all other hard disks and even the cdrom but still cannot get it to detect the new disk. The bios is award modular bios v4.51. Any help much appreciated.

2 Things, Is the drive ATA100? If so do you have an 80 conductor cable for it (ata cable)? Second does your old HDD recognize fine? If it does it could be a bad HDD (even if it is new). Also attempt to manually input the drive specifications.

You may need to upgrade the BIOS. It is always possible that the machine just doesn't know what it is seeing.

Some older motherboards (even with bios updates) are unable to detect larger HDDs... I would try researching the motherboard and more specifically the IDE controller.

Good luck

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back