Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidhg

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
IS
I have a old computer 66 mhz 540 mb harddisk
I compressed the drive with drivespace3 i think
operating system was win 95
I then took the disk and put it in another pc operating system win98 and formatted the disk and used it as extra disk everything worked allright
But after I put the disk back in the 66 and tried to setup win 95 again the bios cant find the hard disk
error message "hard disk failure" I have put another old 170 mb disk in the pc and it works ecxept for i have to use startup diskette, but I cant use it with the 540 disk
Is it possible the boot sector is damaged
Is there someone who can fix it for me
Thanks David

Difference in media descriptor between 95 and 98. Try the 95's fdisk /mbr then delete the non dos partition. Then start again. This should resolve it.
Or go back to a DOS fdisk and do it there. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

ive seen too many problems with compressed drives, they'll just cause chaos on your system. even if you do get it working you'll just have problems down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back