Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobp

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
DE
Hi,

My computer fails to recognize the whold hard disk space. It has more than 10 GB,
but it shows only about 3 GB, in the file explorer.

But the partition magic shows remaining as unused.

*. Unallocated 62.7MB
C:WINDOWS FAT32 3506.4
*. Unallocated 11029.0

This problem seems to be occured after partitioning of the HD for Linux installation. Can restore the unused Harddisk using any method(Other than formatting the Hard disk)

Pls. advise

Thankx and regards,
Cobp

HI
Obviously, the NON-DOS partition of linux must be staying and so not recongnised. You can reclaim that without disturbing the existing HD drive map.

All you have to do is to use the same partitioning utility you have used.. example.. if FDISK.. use that again, be careful NOT TO DELETE any DOS partition. Delete the Non-Dos parttion and add it as an extended partition. The space will become available as extende drive D: or D: & E: as you may decide. You have to format the D: &\ E: to make that as usable. Assumed that you dont want to retain the Linux partition.

Hope this helps you :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Hi Ramani,
Thanks for the reply

I got my computer from my friend. He tried to create partition using FDISK, but that was not successful. Again he tried to create partition using PQ MAGIC. But it was not succesfull.
He tells that there were some harddisk(bad sector or some thing like that) problems in Hard disk and he was not able to delete that partitions using PQMAGIC. FDISK displays only one partition.

So pls. advice, how to delete this UNUSED partion from Hard disk.

When the computer boots, it fails to detect HARD DISK, but after pressing alt+ctrl+del,
it recognizes. Does this is a Hardware problem or some thing related with the partition

Thanks and regards,
cobp

Sorry to have to say but it sounds very much like the HDD is on the way out. If you go to the manufacturers web site you will probably be able to download a utility to check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back