Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Disk Partition 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Technical User
Jan 5, 2000
US
Visit site
I have a 13.6 Maxtor hd that I want to partition. Is there any other way to do it or you have to go by the software. The one I have is Partition-It. Your suggestions are highly needed. Thanks.

If you purchased the hd from a store it should come with a CD that contains all your necessary hd software. Just use whatever is there. Partition-It should work too.

If you are wanting to operate in a windows environment and have a widnows 95 or 98 cdrom you can install the HDD into your system and boot to the windows cd and then run the fdisk command at the dos prompt.. on the windows 98 cdrom you will insert the cdrom and the first screen you come to is the option to boot from cdrom or boot from HDD and you will want to boot from cdrom.. then start pc with cdrom support .. then type FDISK <enter>. then you want to create a partition which is option 1 then you will want to create a primary dos partition which is again option 1.. then the HDD will verify the drive integrity.. then you hit enter to user the maximum available space and set the partition active. then it will verfy the drive integrity again. then exit fdisk.. restart the computer and boot from the cdrom and then boot with cdrom support.. then at the prompt, if you are at a d:/> you can type cd \win98 <enter> then type format c: /u <enter> and this will format your HDD for a windows Operating system. after the format is complete you will hit enter and leave the volume label blank.. then at the dos prompt just type "setup".. no quotation marks of course, and it will run the windows setup from the windows 98 cdrom.

You can also copy fdisk.exe and format.exe to a floppy boot disk. Just remember<br>
when you use fdisk and format you will lose your data. If you want to partition your hard drive without formating and fdisk you can use a program called partition magic. I still would backup my important data before using.

What operating system are you going to use? Each version of Windows has it's own limitations in terms of partition sizes and so forth. For example, if you are using NT4 you will have to use a version with SP4 or above (as these contain the update ATAPI v1.3 driver which van handle drives with more than 1024 cylinders). Also, NT4 cannot have a boot partition of greater than 7.8Gb. (Why 7.8 and not 8Gb? Ask Bill.) If you are using Win95 prior to OSR2.1 you are limitied to 2Gb partitions. <br>
<br>
What I would recommend is create a 1 or 2Gb primary partition, load the operating system, and then let a program such as Partition Magic handle the partiting of the rest of the drive.<br>
<br>
Even though I prefer have a single partition, chopping the drive up does have its advantages when organising you data - particularly when you have to reinstall WIndows - and you will have to. ;-)<br>
<br>
-Ian

Hi Ian,<br>
I am running Win 98 SE. I suppose there is no limitation.<br>
Would you please show me the steps. Thanks

Sorry it took soo long to get back to you - <br>
With Win98SE you may as well use the software that comes with it. I've parttitoned bootable drives as big as 13Gb with it without problems. If you want a single partition, simply put you CD in the CD-ROM and switch on. The installation routine does the rest.<br>
<br>
If you want to partition the drive then use the menu that comes up when you boot the CD and drop to a DOS prompt. Run Fdisk and partition it as required. Setting up partitions is a subjective topic and each person has their own ideas. Two suggestions I would make - should you go this way - are: 1) Create a small (max 500Mb) primary partition for the OS, create another small (about 200Mb) partition and use it exclusively for the swap file, use the rest as a partition for the applications and data; 2) Create a large App partition (about 4Gb) for OS and Apps and use the rest for data.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
-Ian

Fat16 - 2 gig<br>
Fat32 - 8 gig<br>
Fat32X- 32Gig<br>
NTFS - 64Gig<br>
<br>
I also recomend using Partitino magic 5 jointly with Fdisk <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

and also thanks to ndogg , I now know EXT2 (linux file system) is limted to 16 tetrabytes, this could be very well rumored, but it's according to linux lover ndogg.<br>
and i still need to order my Mandrake 7.0 Linux power box set(it helps the copany and yourself alot more when you buy the box sets, usally 50$ since it comes with much much more,a nd books to help you too) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

PM5 will do it auto, it just says it's FAT32 in general, if it gets real big PM5 i belive will make it fat32, i would assume it does cuz i think PM4 did <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back