Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Disk Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacsa

MIS
Apr 3, 2003
CA
Hello ... How can the health of hard disks be monitored if they are attatched to RAID controllers? (Ie. Montior for bad sectors, etc.)

Thanks,

kovacsa

Hi,
I know this is going to be really unhelpful, but if you could let us know a bit more about the system you have we might be able to come back with some good information,
all the best,
Colin

Hey Colin .. Thanks. We have a RAID-5 system with 4 Maxtor disks. The RAID controller is an Adaptec 2400 I believe. The server is not a name brand, its really more of a "beef-up" PC. Oh yeah ... PIV 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR RAM.

Thanks,
kovacsa

Hi,
not my area of expertise "maxtor disks" but I would imagine if there were any issues with the Raid group it would show up in Event Log. But I think what you are looking for is a proactive means of determining if you are getting bad block reassigns or an indication that you are going to have a disk failure. I'm afraid I can't help.
Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back