Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard disk controller, resource conflict 5???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissH

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
SE
Can someone help me with this:

My device manager tells me I have 3 different hard disk controllers:
1. Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Master IDE Controller
2. Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk controller
3. Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk controller
(no 2 and 3 are using different resource types)

The problem is, that no 1 (Intel) is saying that "the device is causing a resource conflict (Code 5)", I don´t have any idea what to do...

What is wrong? can someone give me a tip?

I have a IBM Think Pad, Windows 98.

Have you tried removing the controllers and letting Windows redetect?

Hello
I also have an IBM ThinkPad with the same problem. After doing extensive research, I know what the problem is, but I do not have a way to fix it yet.

The Thinkpad's hard drive comes preloaded at the factory with what is necessary to identify the system hardware. I bought a new hard drive to replace a failed one. The precopied information is not on this hard drive. Nor is it available from IBM. You need to be one of the lucky few with the proper restore disk for your unit. I got mine used with no restore disk. IBM does not have a restore disk for sale for my older model ThinkPad.

You have no doubt seen the limited function of the Thinkpad setup program... That's because all of the BIOS data is preloaded on the harddrive. So this is the problem.

As to how to fix it... we need to find someone with a restore disk for an IBM Thinkpad 600E who will sell us a copy of their restore disk.

Anyone out there with a restore disk for a 600E that would sell me a copy?

Sparklematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back