Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HARD CODING VS DRAG AND DROP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexfusion

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
AR
Hello Everyone,
I would like to know the opinion about this question:
Me,just like many of you, spend many hours coding our scripts using our favorite program,a lot of time reading about how stuff works,and that is a very hard, task as you know.As a programmer I like that a lot.But with the quick development of the web,we can see programs that let you just drag and drop a component,such as the new Flash Comunication Server,and you have a chat room,etc.
I mean,all the effort we put in programmming web applications is futile in front of this software?
With OOP we have a lot of time and and effort saving,and that's great.Will the hard coders be a vanishing race?
Let me know what you think about it.

Kindest Regards

Alex

After using various DnD apps to create webpages I've finally found myself most comfortable with Textpad.

I guess I'm happy enough with my abilities, I don't actually find "hard coding" hard. :) ______________________________________________________________________
There's no present like the time, they say. - Henry's Cat.

I'm with KarveR, except for me it's UltraEdit. I gotta have those line-numbers, man.

The strength of drag-and-drop-interface programming is that someone with no experience can create a program quickly.

The weakness of drag-and-drop-interface programming is that you have to do things the way the authors of the GUI imagined you would want to do it. A skilled programmer very quickly finds himself wanting to write a program that cannot be expressed in the GUI metaphore, at which point he fires up a text editor.

All these RAD systems work, but only well for the simple stuff. Once a programmer tries to do something complex, either the GUI doesn't support it, or the programmer spends more time hunting for the right drop-down menu to find the attribute he needs to set than he would have had he done it by hand. ______________________________________________________________________
Never forget that we are
made of the stuff of stars

Textpad has lne numbers ;) and also programmale macro stuff, also a html module for color highlihgting and other goodies, gotta luv it [lol]
( ______________________________________________________________________

Sorry. I was skimming at the time and misread -- I though you were REALLY doing things the hard way, and said NOTEpad. ______________________________________________________________________
Never forget that we are
made of the stuff of stars

Heh, I'm not THAT hard :) ______________________________________________________________________

Well, about the text editor, i use the PHPeD. With that you can have a execution of the script, a little help on the function params, and that thing of when you are writing a function, he suggests the remaining. That thing that the microsoft created for VB (i don't remember the name of it).

Anikin
Hugo Alexandre Dias
Web-Programmer
anikin_jedi@hotmail.com

Nooo keep that ******ng helpful paperclip thing away from me!!!!!! ______________________________________________________________________

Just a point

take example of dreamweaver , it creates a lot of redundant code which is really a pain .(correct me if i m wrong bcos i have worked very little on dreamweaver).

for php i prefer PHPEDIT which is not actually drag and drop type but can be very helpfull.

cheers

spookie

dreamweaver creates a lot of redundanct code? You don't work with dreamweaver for sure. It's the program that creates less code. Only creates what you demand him to create. Aren't you mixing it with Frontpage?

Anikin
Hugo Alexandre Dias
Web-Programmer
anikin_jedi@hotmail.com

Hi there,
I'm sorry I'm late for responding.
I agree with most of you.My favorite program is Allaire's Home Site.Thanks so much for your opinions.
Hey Anikin,congratulation!! so you don't find "hard coding" hard.I think the same (once I read a lot of stuff).
Once again,thank you for the responses.

Happy coding!

Alex

Homesite > *.*

I use it & can't express the time saved with Auto Completion/Tag Insight/Function Insight & bindable keyboard shortcuts.

I'm just now getting into fiddling with snippets & regret not having done so sooner. The ability to assign a keyboard shortcut to a snippet you create with "BEFORE" and "AFTER" snippets is fantastic.

I once was a fan of UltraEdit . . . I *STILL* use it, but not for my primary coding.

NotePad in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back