Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Happy National Punctuation Day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebenson

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
Today, we celebrate some the unsung workhorses of our language. Today is the day we sing the praises of the lowly period, the indispensable comma, the maligned and misused apostrophe, and all those other punctuation marks that liven up our written discourse. Yes, even the forgotten tilde (~) is celebrated today!

Hip Hip, Huzzah!!!
Hip Hip, Huzzah!!!
Hip Hip, Huzzah!!!

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

JEBenson said:
...the lowly period...
There is nothing unimportant about the period. As my wife said over 30 years ago, "A missing period can change your life!" <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I much prefer the use of the British "Full Stop".

I refuse to accept some of your Americanisms - period!

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

There is nothing unimportant about the period. As my wife said over 30 years ago, "A missing period can change your life!" <grin>

Bwahahaha!! Santa, I stand corrected!

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Hi Santa

[rofl]

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

...pepperoni bread shaped like (parentheses) and cookies shaped like question marks??"

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Ben said:
I wonder what they would come up for the "&"...or the "?"
To me, a "&" looks very similar to a pretzel. And the "?"...it looks to my like a like a sickle shape, which one could bake from bread dough or the like, right? [2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Hmmmm...

pretzel... now I am hungry and off to the baker to get some.... ;-)

and the sickle shaped bread well that will be ok, specially buttered and spread with garlic and re-baked in an oven... scrumptious...

but I actually meant the " (quotation) mark, not the question mark.... but I am ok with that... :)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

BBB
I envy your ability to go to any baker and get a pretzel.
One of the things I miss from Germany. Have a ?for me with butter but not so much salt because we want to watch the cholesterol.

" how about twinned gummy bears

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Westi,

for me with butter but not so much salt because we want to watch the cholesterol.
exchange the butter with margarine, and you have no worries about cholesterol...

yeah, Germany is considered to be the country with the most types of bread in the world... there are some that I would not want to miss (Brezel/Laugen Brötchen, english trans. plain Pretzel (stick)), but others I could do without (e.g. Pumpernickel or Black Bread)...

I missed a lot of german type breads while I was in the US, one week before I returned to Germany, I found this Deli which carried 'Jewish Delicatessen' and behold they had kosher Rye bread that was similar to some German breads, and a supermarket carried 'Kaiser Rolls' which where like German Brötchen... as usual, you always find the good stuff when it is too late... ;-)

Ben

We have a German store relatively close but I am not willing to pay the prices there as it adds %50 to the bill for regular items, but every once in a while I go there and treat the family to "real" bread. That Toast, even if it is whole wheat, is just no substitute for a fresh "Holzofenbrot" bread out of a wood fired oven.
As for the margarine, no way I eat that stuff I put a little less butter on instead.

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread. Back to the original topic.
Long live the semi-colonoscopy was it I think.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

...exchange the butter with margarine...
I can STILL remember my mother coming home with oleomargarine: a bag of white, lard-like substance with a quarter-sized gob of red dye. I would be required to kneed this package until all the dye disbursed throughout the mass, yielding our weekly allotment of "butter."

I STILL hate margerine of any kind!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Ben said:
...ever since I seen...
Holy Smokes, Ben, not here in Making an Impression.[banghead]

[santa]Mufasa

Oh no! I love töltött káposzta, and that is made with sauerkraut. LOVE the aroma!I know how it's made.

Also love scrapple, make from, uh, er, um... scraps of meat in the butchering process.

Skip,
[sub]

Dave,

oops, that should have read,

...ever since I saw...

thank you for pointing that one out... ;-)

Skip,

there is "knowing how it's made" (knowing the process) and then there is "knowing how it's made" (sticking your head into the terracotta press, smelling the fermenting gases and all, as a 5 yr. old kid)... ;-)

Ben

...and having had your hands in it and smelly shirt, pants, socks, shoes, hair dispite the apron & hat? A bloody mess, literally!

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back