Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hangs during boot, black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tav1035

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
Compaq boots to choices of:
Safe
Last known
Normal start

It hangs up while listing file agp440.sys, mup.sys, 1394bus.sys...
The last known config didn't work either.
I disabled agp440 and mup but I can't find 1394bus.
Where is this pulling from? Is it a boot or reg file. Is there software that will fix this or a generic file to use?
I don't have a xp disk just a compaq restore disk that will format my hard drive. I loaded the 6 boot disk but I have to re-load them each time I reboot the computer. Can I permantely load these? Not sure if I was using the Restore console either, it didn't seem to work. After loading the 6 disks I chose 'r' then it took me to C:windows.
What's next?

Also I think this whole thing started when I accidently opened sysreg.ini or exe can't remember which?

I have had PCs come into the workshop with a similar problem. You bootlog start the PC and mup.sys is about the last thing before it stops.

In all cases we had to format and reinstall the OS because of corrupted files. In all cases the hardware was fine. Tez

Backups are great but checking if you can restore is more fun.

One of the things to try, because it has worked for me in the past on 3 separate occasions. The drivers listed during safe mode startup are drivers that have loaded. so the driver causing the crash is whatever happens to be loading right after the last one displayed. NORMALLY, this is the acpi driver for advanced power management and the file that loads right before it is USUALLY the mup.sys file.

I have had numerous systems do this to me, and before, the only way I ever got them up and running again was by reinstalling. After reading an article last week regarding this issue, I tried replacing the power supply on a mupped up system. YES, you heard right, power supply. Guess what, that fixed it.

Give it a try....easier than reinstalling the os

Joel

FubaccaJoe,
This happened shortly after getting it back from Compaq, they had to resolder the heatsink or something back on the mother board (can't really remember). But anyway, I remember what I did to cause the problem. I clicked on a file called sysreg.exe (I think I was looking for viruses or something). The computer froze and I couldn't getr it to reboot without reloading the OS.
The problem with Compaq is that they only gave me two restore disk and the first thing that it ask you after putting the disk in is...This will reformat the hard disk, want to continue?
Too bad Compaq doesn't offer a repair disk instead.
After disabling the drivers that were hanging (agp440.sys, mup.sys) and when it came to disabling the driver 1394bus.sys, I couln't find it.
I don't doubt to power supply problem because I had the same type of problem before sending it to Compaq.
tav

There is some mention on Google of Sysreg.exe being a trojan, might be worth a read.

If your 6 floppies took you into Recovery Console, then this might help you fathom out what to do when you get there.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

It might be worth checking with your OEM Support and see if they can get you into the Recovery Console.

1394bus????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back