Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hang after 'freeing unused kernel memory'

Status
Not open for further replies.

weifan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2003
US
Hi,

My linux box was turned off without going through the normal shutdown procedure. After turned on the box, the system hanged after freeing unused kernel memory.

Is there anyway I can fix my linux box without reinstallation?

TIA

Roger

Can anyone give a word? Do I need to re-install?

Thanks

I just dug through my dmesg output. My 2.4.? kernel goes to usb intitialization after the 'Freeing kernel memory' message. Do you have any USB devices attached to the machine?

After usb, there's a message about the ps2 mouse, then it goes into the journal information for my ext3 partitions.

I'd guess a USB device's configuration is somehow mucking things up (unplug it if you can), or it's taking a really long time to either fsck the ext2 (or read the journal if you have a journalized filesystem).

Do a 'linux single'/go into single user mode and fsck the filesystem. That'd be my second thing to try. First, USB devices. Maybe even go into BIOS and disable USB ports just so the OS doesn't get confused.

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back