Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handset cord prevents M3904 from picking up line

Status
Not open for further replies.

fataldata

Technical User
Nov 14, 2007
US
So there are some differences in handset cords? User wanted a longer handset cord so the purchased one about 8ft long. When this cord is used and you lift the handset it will not p/u the primary line unless the softkey is pressed. Replaced with cord that came with it and it works fine. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to order a longer handset cord for this set and be sure that it will work properly.

Is there a standard IEEE or otherwise for handset cords? I do notice that the one that does not work rolls the pins from one end to the other, on the one that works I'm not sure b/c all the wires appear to be the same color and I will have to break out the plug to know for sure. And of course handset cords don't fit nicely into my standard rj45 breakout.

Hello

You are correct in assuming most handset curly cords are wired the same - i.e pin 1 to 4, 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 4 to 1 (rollout/rolover). Also, if the telephone does not detect a load on the handset-piece jack (its on the microphone pins 2/3) on the base of the phone when the hookswitch rises, then no line will be selected.

As regards your problem it is almost certainly caused by the impedance (ohms) of he cable used in the super long curly cord - have you tried also to re-crimp the plugs on each end of the curly cord - i have come across a lot of these where the pins have not been pushed far enough in to the wire conductors of the cable.

hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. No I have not attempted to re crimp the connector not sure if I have a die for the handset plug. I just informed them the cord did not work. I'm going to look for another one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back