Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hands on training for CCNA - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegold2

Technical User
Oct 10, 2004
Hi,

Hi I'm going the ICND1/2 route for the CCNA. I've done an incredible amount of reading so far. Now I would like to buy a home kit with some hardware to get hands-on. What I'm looking for is a top quality book/lab exercise manual AND the correct hardware to carry out the exercises. I want current up to date though refurbished gear. So far I think the kit should include 2950 switches...I think.

I'm confused - there are a lot of books, kits, trainers, gurus, and I want to avoid wading through all this and get it right. I need a book that teaches hands-on stuff and the proper kit for the book. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Lee G.

Lee,

Welcome to the Cisco Cert section at Tek-Tips

Here is a great 7 part blog about setting up a CCNA lab by Wendell Odom, CCIE and Cisco author, it has lots of info on what you want to setup and look for READ IT -

You also will want to read back a few posts here, labs are discussed in GREAT detail and a lot will depend on if you will use the lab to go further than CCNA!!!!

As far as switches - 2950's and 2960's will work just fine.

As far as routers, you said - "I want current up-to-date though refurbished gear" current, up-to-date MEANS $$$$$$, you can get ANYTHING that your budget will allow, that takes a keen eye on Ebay on your part. No secret to buying Cisco equipment except to KNOW your product very, very well - if it is too good to be true - RUN AWAY QUICKLY!!!!

Best way to start is read the blog above and read the past posts, then ask questions!!!

Something you will find in your reading - Cisco 3640 routers ARE NOT the most current and up-to-date but they are VERY, VERY usefull for CCNA and CCNP labs, you will find that you don't always need the most "current and up-to-date" equipment to learn what you are trying to do.

Good luck and good reading!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

As for books, the big ones recommended by us here are the books from CiscoPress and the books by Todd Lammle. Both are excellent resources.

Also there is a free book here:

I've only scanned it, but looks to be a really good resource as well. Equipment is just a little dated, but can still be a good guide.

...if it is too good to be true - RUN AWAY QUICKLY!!!! "

Just like King Arthur in Monty Python...lol

NI!

Burt

Lee,

The free book that Lerdalt listed/linked to is a 750 page PDF from my old Cisco "train the trainer" instructor. He wrote the book several years ago for the old CCNA exam using 2500 routers but you can easily adapt the labs for 26xx or 3640 routers - labs are labs and it is FREE!!!!!! It is also a great way for "learning by doing" from the very basics of setting up your PC for networking to advanced WAN configs!!

Not any specific "Lab" books but most of the books listed above have labs in them!! Cisco Press does have a "lab" book for the Cisco Network Academy classes (which is a GREAT way to learn CCNA) which is not bad, it uses 2-3 router "pods" which is what is normally needed for a good CCNA lab - 2-3 routers with a 4th used as a Frame Relay switch.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for the info - I'll take a look.

I have the two book set by Wendell Odom, and the Bryant Advantage CCNA download book and resources. Both seem high quality.

Lee G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back