Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handling nz() in an IIF statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisJF

MIS
Jun 29, 2003
AU
Hi there, this problem is driving me crazy!
Background:
I have a combo box which is bound to one field in a table. It is used to select a value as an input for criteria of a query.

When the combo box on the form was blank, I used the following criteria in the query to produce all results including the situation when the ChapterNo contained null.

(like "*" & [Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo] & "*") or (nz([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo],"")="")

I was requested to display "ALL" as a default on the combo boxes in the form.

In the row source I have used a UNION query to add "ALL" to the list in the combo box.

SELECT DISTINCT "ALL" AS [Chapter No] from [NEM Obligations & Procedures] UNION ALL SELECT [NEM Obligations & Procedures].[Chapter No] FROM [NEM Obligations & Procedures] GROUP BY [NEM Obligations & Procedures].[Chapter No] ;

This works well!

Problem comes when you change the criteria in the query.
I am using an IIF()

like IIf([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo]="ALL","*",([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo])) & "*"

Now this returns all records apart from records which contain nulls, i.e records where ChapterNo is null,

It appears that the "*" passed in the query does not return any rows with null Chapter No. This was handled previously using (nz([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo],"")="")

..and replacing "*" in the IIF statement with (nz([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo],"")="") produces a zero result.

Hope this makes sense - any suggestions?
Regards
ChrisJF

Try enclosing the asterisk within the bracket.

like IIf([Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo]="ALL","*",[Forms]![AdminSearch]![frmAdmChapterNo] & "*")

How you had it, it would append the asterisk regardless of the IIF result, so searching for 'ALL' would actually search for '**'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back