Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handling asp.net pages in Vista 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
GB
I am trying to test a new .aspx page under Vista (Ultimate). This is the first time I've tried to do any web development on this PC. I'm getting an error 404.3:
The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map

When I open IIS, there appears to be no handler for .aspx files but I'm not sure how to go about adding one. I tried adding a Managed Handler but the recommended module (system.web.ui.pagehandlerfactory) does not seem to be available in the dropdown list. If I type it in manually, this generates different errors when I test the page.

Any suggestions?

you need to register the webform extensions with IIS. from the command line
Code:
C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -help
set the appropiate flags and IIS should now accept the .net web extensions.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Excellent, thank you. I'm sure I would have stumbled across that eventually - after 1.6 million years perhaps :). Intuitive stuff!

Thanks again.

I might also add that if IIS is installed after .net (or added later one), .net will need to be registered with .net using the command above with the -i parameter and then you may need to go into IIS under web extensions, i believe as I am doing this from memory, and ALLOW asp and asp.net extensions.

Yes I used the -i switch first time around thanks and the .aspx file is picked up and processed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back