Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handling anonymous users - forms and windows authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanrxx

Programmer
Feb 25, 2004
US
I have an Intranet site that I'm trying to work out some authentication issues on. Eventually, I want all of our domain users to add the url for the site into their 'Local Intranet' zone in IE so I can read their domain username automatically(using User.Identity.Name) when they hit the site w/out prompting for a login. I have turned off anonymous access on the site, and have added the domain to the Local Intranet zone on my machine, and it works fine.

If a user has not added the domain into their Local Intranet zone in IE, then IIS sees them as trying to connect with the IUSR_machinename account, and rejects it since anonymous access is turned off. They then get prompted for their username and password with the windows login pop-up box.

What I want to do is instead of prompt them for a username/password, I want to redirect them to a page instructing them on how to add the domain to their Local Intranet zone in IE and allow them to login via a form.

I need to give users access to the site based on their windows username, so I had initially used 'windows' authentication in web.config. Can I use forms authentication too so I can redirect them to a custom logon screen and not just show them the generic windows login window? I'm sorry if my question is basic...still trying to learn how .NET authentication works..

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to give all the details. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back