Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handheld scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishier

Programmer
Jan 21, 2009
ZA
Hi people,

I'm busy developing an application that works with hand held scanners that reads the bar codes of products. I know you can specify where to the data that is read of the product must be written to but I can't seem to implement it into my application.

Does any body have tips on how I should go to work maybe?

Thanx!

I am sorry, I am having a hard time understanding your sentence. Can you please type it again?

How do you implement a scanner (like the one you get in a super market) into java coding?

Guess that's the other way around :-D

Most scanners either are 'wedge type scanners' that connect between the keyboard and the PC so need the app waiting for you to 'type' the data, or use some form of TCP/IP communication to transfer the data, like FTP protocol to put files somewhere that can be read periodically or talking directly to a webservice with the SOAP/XML protocol to upload data (mostly programmed in .NET/Windows CE or Mobile).
In most cases your processing application can be written in Java :)

Better talk to your handscanner supplier first.

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back