Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Halftone dots How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

playcorp

Technical User
Nov 30, 2003
AU
How do I get halftone dots in illustrator, I want a dot type effect behind my image and I have clipped the shape out and want Black dots now. Any suggestions?

Can you get the shape into Photoshop and use that? I think it has a halftone effect...

Version 10 has a similar effect where you can go Filter/Pixelate/Color Halftone.

Hrm, if your like me you most likely want to keep anything and everything shape based vector if at all possible.

This might not be the best way, the right way.. but hey, it works for me because I like keeping things vector.
1) Create your shape in Illustrator you wish to halftoneize

2) Copy your shape, create new grayscale file in Photoshop, make your DPI absurdly high. Depending on the size of the halftone dots, the smaller the dots im making the higher the dpi I use. (I will explain in a sec)

3) Paste in your shape and size to fit your canvas (Black Shape, White BG)

4) Flatten the layers

5) Filter > Pixelate > Colour Halftone …

6) Do your stuff, get it how you like

7) Go to your channels pallet, cmd/ctrl click the gray channel

8) Invert your selection

9) Go to your Paths pallet, go to its options and pick ‘Make Work Path’ ‘0.5’ pixel tolerance.
(This is where the higher DPI makes a difference. If you have really fine dots, when it creates paths of your selections they are too fine you get really choppy circles with horrid straight edges.)

** Note: if you have too many points or have gone overboard with settings, you will get an error when making the work path, something to the effect Adobe Photoshop has encountered an error. Just lower the res of your photo until your good.

10) File > Export > Paths To Illustrator …

11) Open in illustrator, Fill your shape with colour, and do what you will with it.

Takes a bit to get used to how large to make your raster version to get good path quality.
Also this works with images, just watch out for too much detail and too many points.

If anyone has any other ways of doing this, please share with the rest of us!!

Hope this ramble makes sense.
Cheers

go to effect> pixleate> colour half tone and set all the angles to 45 which will make all the dots black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back