Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Half of Desktop Icons Missing!!!! Please help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsonrs12

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2015
US
Windows 7 64bit, half the icons on desktop are randomly missing including short cuts. So that cuts out A: Show desktop icons (because i can see some of them) and B: I dont need to go to settings to make sure my basic desktop icons are enabled (because they are) I can see recycle bin, my computer...ect. Any ideas? Thank You

Windows 7 has a 'cleanup' routine it run every now and then and when it does that, it removes icons it thinks aren't being used anymore. This can be due to network timeouts or disconnects, not having been accessed for a while or whatever. Whoever at Microsoft dreamed up this stupidity needs a kick in the knee. It has caused me grief on way too many occasions. We now disable that idiocy on every new computer we set up at our company. Try this:

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

I never knew this existed. But then again, why would there be more than FOUR BROKEN shortcuts on your desktop? To me, that is bizarre.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Also, check to see if your desktop has a "black" background. If so, then that might mean you're logged into a temporary profile and not really your personal profile. That can be a pain to fix if that's the case, so let us know and we'll go from there.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

No, not in automatic mode, not does the posted link suggest that it does.
You're right. It doesn't suggest anything along those lines really. Method 1 says it will clean up more than four broken shortcuts. However, I know for a fact that several computers in operation at our company, each containing a desktop shortcut to a server based app would delete the icon every week until we turned that functionality off (Method 2). And I don't know why the process felt compelled to do it either as the app was in use most of the day, every day, in 24x7 locations.
We disable the task by going to:
Computer Management->System Tools->Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnosis and click 'Disable'

As a side note, when I've experienced the corrupt icon cache the icons were there but with no images. Different issue.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Icon cache is not the issue. The full icon is gone, not a broken image. Dave im not sure what to look for on your website. CDOGG No black background, it is logged in local profile.

Nothing on my website, I was referring to your computer. Click the 'Start' button/icon, then right-click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage'. It will bring up the 'Computer Management' screen. From there, follow the chain:
Computer Management->System Tools->Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnosis and click 'Disable'

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back