Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HAL Issue - ACPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmoat

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
Hi there,

I am trying to create a universal image and am having problems with one particular laptop series.

I will leave out details of imaging as its not actually relevent to the problem - I am using mySysPrep to detect correct HAL though for those that are interested and it works very well.

With this one series of laptop if I go into Device manager and try to downgrade the HAL Advanced Control & Power Interface (ACPI) shows as a valid compatible HAL. Of course it wouldnt have support for x2 cores but still - it should boot and work.

However when I reboot following this it blue screens. If I manually change the HAL files back it then works again. So its not mass storage driver issues.

Why would a HAL show as compatible but then not work upon reboot?

Its driving me crazy so if anyone could give me a clue I would be most grateful!

Thing is, this happens outside of my plans for sysprep and mysysprep.

Ignore the whole imaging end goal.

All I am trying to do is downgrade the HAL on this particular machine (Vostro 1310) to Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (ACPI) via the compatible HALS shown in Device Manager, Computer section.

Thanks for the links but I can tell you I have googled the subject to death! That sinking feeling when no matter how you word the question all the links come up as visited!

Perhaps not the approach you want but when I had similar issues I actually went down the route of using a 3rd party vendor app to do something very similar.

Have a look at UIU ( these are the guys who invented Ghost, it allows you to build a single image usable on vastly different hardware (desktops and laptops). I have used it in the past and would resolve any future issues as well.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back