Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hal.dll problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaboy

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
I'm trying to install 2000 pro on a Gateway solo 9150 laptop. I keep getting an error #7 on the second of the four boot disks that says error loading hal.dll. Any ideas? These disks work fine on a Solo 9100 that I have. Can't boot from the CD, so that's not an option. I may just load 98 and do an upgrade, but I'd much rather figure out what's going on with the 4 start-up disks. Thanks for any input.

Mark

The HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer, the bit of Win2k which talks directly to your hardware.

The problem could be a few things...

1: The floppy disk is damaged. You can make another by using the util in the BootDisk folder of the Win2k CD.

2: Your laptop (as it stands at the moment) is not compatable with Win2k. Check the help on the Gateway web site, there maybe a bios update or something.

Try booting your laptop off a Win98 boot floppy (to get CD support in dos) then run the WINNT.EXE in the \WINNT folder. Don't use the WINNT32.exe, its for upgrades only.
New Zealand, a great place to visit.

I have seen missing hal.dll three times and the only way we have been able to fix it is to replace the hard drive and that has worked every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back