Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Had a BAD install of HP Printer driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilwu500

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
CA
Add Remove would not uninstall so I had to delete everything I could find manually got it out of Add Remove Programs
did a registry scan [RegistryRescue] on all accounts including
Administrative yet when I try a frash install I get-"previous
installation must be removed" also searched all files and removed any referece to HP Office Jet

Would help if we knew the printer model ... i think your best bet would be too speak to HP tech support though.

What was wrong with the initial install of the printer? was there a system crash mid install or somthing?

Thanks,

Rob

I am guessing you're not talking about just the printer driver?
You're probably trying to reinstall the entire bulky HP Toolbox/Printerbox/Taskbarannoyance or whatever they call it now.

Simply installing the driver would make the printer work, you wouldn't get that annoying popup or voice when you're printing or running out of ink or paper, but it would still work.

Go to Start->Settings->Printers, then hit the Add Printer button and follow the screens for your type of printer.

You can also uninstall using their CD most of the time, launch the setup, and search for an uninstall option. If there is a modify settings, or add/remove features in the setup, it might be in there.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Make sure to contact HP. Their tech support will give you a link for a program that will totally remove the printer. I have had the same problem as it had to do more that hp installs more then just printer drivers. It usally install registy keys, and other drives to the little "extras" you have with the printer.

Pulled my hair out on more then one ocassion with HP printer. (Don't get me wrong also had good luck with the printer just ever once in a while problems with software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back