Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HACMP/ Can't select VG for creating filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

svnhunix

Technical User
Mar 27, 2008
BE
We are running a 4 node 5.3 HACMP cluster with one RG between two nodes for one year, no problems.

We now created a new RG over the other two nodes with the necessary volume groups.
We now have the problem that we can't create filesystems through the CSPOC because we can't see the new volume groups in the list for selection.
Strangely enough we can create LV's on the VG. There the new VG's are listed correctly.
Creation of a FS on an existing LV is also not working, he just gives an empty list.
When we run a discover we see the new VG's appearing as detected in the list.

We now have created the VG's manually and imported them manually on the other nodes (as workaround), already with some filesystems on them. Those filesystems are detected by the cluster and can be changed through the CSPOC.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone a tip where to look at?
Does someone recognize this as a bug?

Steven

hmmmm I would guess that is because you were not having a log into the VG!?! Coz what we do in here is that we first create the log on the newly created VG, then format it using logform and then create the file systems. After that, we configure the cluster to see the VG!

Just a guess!

Regards,
Khalid

It seems that I've resolved the problem meanwhile.

Anyway. It is an AIX 5.3 with HACMP 5.4. A 4 node cluster with one resource group configured for two nodes.
We had configured a new RG for the other two nodes, but we ran into the problem that we couldn't create filesystems on the new volumegroups of the new resource because we didn't see the new VG's in the selection list within CSPOC.

When we ran discovers the VG's were detected. When we tried to create a new logical volume, we also could choose the new VG's, but we couldn't create a new FS on that new LV after that. So all worked perfect, except the creation of filesystems.

I now noticed that only on the two nodes for that RG the volume groups were known (we saw them with lsvg). The two nodes that were not supposed to ever host that RG and for that weren't configured for that RG, didn't see the VG (with lsvg the just gave "None").

I now imported the new VG also on the last two nodes, ran a discover and there they were. I could select the new VG's for filesystem creation. Problem solved.

One question: is this normal behaviour or is it hard to say with only this info.

Hi,
We only have inlog jfs2 in our vg, and I've never seen this.
Did you try to create the vg within the cspoc alors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back