Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HACMP 2 IP on 1 NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudsucker

MIS
Apr 2, 2008
US
I have hacmp running and one nic has two IP addresses. Right now one IP isn't there. How
do I bring up 2 IPs on one NIC?

en0 should have:

Right now only the 198 ip is showing.

Thanks.

Hi

the IP 198 is for the boot or service ?
IF your cluster is up so it is using the service IP if the cluster is down so it is using the boot IP.

can you print out the topology of your cluster and /etc/hosts file ?

Cheers
Al

Your question of

Code:
How do I bring up 2 IPs on one NIC?

can be answered by saying "using IP Aliasing".

You first have to know what type of IPAT (IP address takeover) you are using! Are you using IPAT via replacement or via aliasing?

You need to add this using HACMP!

As alexia said, which on is the boot address and which one is the service? (unless you are using persistence IP address, then you would have to mention this as well).

Regards,
Khalid

Thanks for your answers. The problem has been resolved. The IP was on the wrong interface and when it was unplugged and plugged back in it went over to the correct interface.

In HACMP there is no "wrong" interface. Both interfaces are used, so the server can bring up the IP even if an adapter fails. If for some reason it swaps the IP between adapters (adapter or LAN failure), when this adapter comes back HACMP doesn't move back the IP to the first adapter (there is no failback in this event).

So if there are two adapters in a server then HACMP will move the IP to the second interface? Is this only with etherchannel?

This can be applied to eitherchannel or else!

I'm still not sure whether this is applicable to interfaces not defined within HACMP!!! But definitely with the ones that are defined.

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back