Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HA with Compaq server and raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

relikwie

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
NL
Hello,

(first sorry for the crosspost in here and the compaq
server forum, didn't knew this forum existed)

I'd like to ask for some advice / tips, after I searched the internet about this subject and haven't found any clear documentation.

Iam thinking to cluster our PDC, now a single Proliant ML350 server with RAID-bays built in. This machine is getting more and more important latley.
So my thoughts where to purchase a new compaq server or build a fast machine myself and a DASD RAID cabinet.
So when the PCD goes down the BDC can take over de RAID cabinet and act as a PDC.
Iam very new to this but am able to read and learn.
All I need is documentation.

Is what Iam asking possible, and if so, do I need third party software. Like HA software?

And does someone knows good recources on the internet?

What solution would an expert here suggest (costs effective).

Oh yes, the current compaq server has RAID built in, where the OS partition is running on. Can I keep that like this and just transfer the exsisting shares to the upcomming RAID cabinet?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the poor englisch,
John.

Hello..

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by clustering. Do you have any BDC servers currently?

I take it you are running NT4 Server for an operating system since you did mention a BDC.

You should only need to have a PDC and a BDC server, two totally seperate servers. They won't need to share any drive cages or anything, they will replicate the neccesary data between them (account info, logon scripts, etc)

It almost sounds like you are using your PDC as a file server as well, is this the case?

Hello Error,

We have a Compaq proliant ML350 and this machine is our domain controller/ftp server/print server/wins/dhcp.
We have only this PDC, no BDC. There are 50 users loging in at this machine. Because this machine is getting so important we need a backup for the times that this machine can break. I've seen a nice NCR system on one place. Where to servers (I guess a PDC & BDC) where hooked to a raid cabinet. This system used Lifekeeper software. But I guess this solution type is very expensive and needs professionals to setup.

You say that I only need to setup a BDC, I can understand that. But there is more data that needs to be synced. Iam talking about the user/group shares/ DHCP DB, WINS etc..
Can this be done?

What do U suggest, compile a cheap system with the same RAID config and make this BDC and how do I get the user/group shares replicated?

Using NT4/SP6a

Thanks in advance,
John.

You are talking about two seperate things.. Let me break it down seperatly.

As for the DOMAIN CONTROLLER information, there is no need for special software. If you add a BDC, the domain user groups, user accounts, logon scripts, etc will all be replicated to the BDC automatically just because it is a BDC of your domain. That takes care of itself. But having a BDC would only provide logon services for your users in the rare occasions where your PDC was unavailable.

NOW, as far as your FTP serving, print serving, WINS and DHCP... that's another story. What you would be talking about there is either replication OR clustering. BUT, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt be able to cluster two servers when they are domain controllers.

A second PC acting as a BDC would only protect your users from losing their domain access during an outage of the PDC. That is very simple to setup, but you'll have to buy a second license for NT Server.

As for your other stuff you want to have a backup of, I think it would probably be easiest and simplest to just make another machine, make it a BDC and move some of the services from your PDC over to this new machine. That way, if it goes down, your users don't lose everything at once. For example, on your PDC, leave your print serving and WINS, and on your BDC, put your DHCP and FTP stuff on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back